Thinking of doing a family shoot soon, but nervous about finding coordinating outfits for your family.
Stylists know that the key to group styling is a balance of colors, textures, fabrics, and patterns.
Now you all know that I am the least stylish person around, however I have some tips that
will hopefully help get your session on the right track.
Here are some tips on what works well, and what doesnt work so well!
Some Good ideas: …ok well maybe lots:)
* Nice jeans, and a dressy top
* Be bold, be prepared to give something different a go
* Ladies to spend a little extra time on make up and hair to feel really beautiful
(But I think everyone does this anyway hey?!?),
and bring some along to the session so you can reapply if needed
* Solid colours or simple patterns
* One dressy outfit and one casual outfit, bring a
couple so you can wear a few and have more choice
* Outfits in the same color family or with the same accent color
* Hot little black dress for the ladies!
* Comfortable clothes you can sit, stand and jump in
* Accessories like funky necklaces, bangles, jackets, hats, scarves, sunglasses, etc.
* Typically, not something everyone will keep in mind before their session.
However, I encourage clients to think about their home, their decor, colors, and style of their home.
Chances are, at some point after your session, you will be ordering prints or digital files,
why not keep your your decor in mind and ensure that it all blends into your home.
This will ensure that any large portraits will compliment your home.
* These are your images and of course you want them to speak volumes about you and your family.
Discuss things your family enjoys doing together and bring “props” and accessories that will help
compliment who you are. If your family enjoys playing music together, bring your instruments to your session.
If your family is off the land, let do some of the session in a shearing shed or incorporate
other aspects of the farm. Bring along items that will represent who each individual is and who your family is collectively.
Some Bad ideas:
* Looking to matchy matchy, lets not get cheesy, lets coordinate!
* Caking makeup on or using the wrong tone makeup that makes your
skin look lighter than it is, lets keep it fairly natural
* Bright white shirts (ivory or cream photographs much better)
* Extreme patterns, heaps of writing or horizontal stripes
Things you might want to bring along with you:
* Any props you would like worked into the shoot
* Thongs or slip on shoes (if you plan on wearing heels, just to
give your feet a rest when you are not in the photo)
* An extra hair band or bobby pins incase you decide you want
your hair up or it is a windy day
* Change of clothes in case one gets dirty or wet or
you just want to change things up
The purpose of a family session is to hopefully capture each individual as they truly are, to capture the family, the relationships,
and people in the photos just as you are. Wear clothing that you feel good in and the pictures will emanate those feelings.
If your child wears a pair of rain boots everywhere he goes, it makes the most sense
to have him wear them for pictures as well. Remember, you want to capture everyone as they are now.
Capture these moments as they are!
The main thing is to be COMFORTABLE and Confident in what you are wearing…
If you feel beautiful you photograph beautifully! I tell everyone that I have a session with, digital images are easy,
if we try something and you dont like it, easy just press delete, but lets try it all and make the most of your session.
Hope this was helpful:)
I have a “What to wear” pinboard on pinterest, take some time and head over to check
out some style boards and inspiration for colour themes. Click on each pin and you can read
more about each one.
Click here to go to my “What to wear” pinboard on pinterest:)